Monday, May 18, 2009

Probiotics

When Bryan came to stay with us, he had a runny nose almost constantly. It seemed as though anything he put into his mouth or near his nose set off an allergic reaction and the un-ending cycle of his nose pouring, then drying up. And every trip outside ended up with stuffy eyes, runny nose, etc. Pink eye seemed to be at least a bi-monthly visitor to his immune system. He had battled chronic constipation since the day he came home from the hospital, and had recently been in the E.R., as the constipation became so severe he had to have medical intervention to help him with it. The kid simply could not catch a break. This on top of all his "major" medical issues...hydrocephalus, resulting in a shunt and hypotonia which causes him developmental delays in his gross motor skills. He rarely felt well an entire day, much less a whole week without something setting him back.

As soon as Bryan went back to see his old pediatrician here in Houston - after giving us instructions and medication to get everything else cleared up, she handed me 2 boxes of powdered probiotics and said, "Give this to him...it will change things".

Now, I have a dear friend who has been using supplements for a while - and if you know me, you know I am not a vitamin, supplement, type person. I've just never been one to take a lot of stuff...I rarely even take a tylenol. At this point, I was willing to try anything. And the fact that Bryan's pediatrician - who I absolutely love and trust more than any doctor we've ever encountered - not only recommended it but handed it out in her office - was enough for me to try it.

That was nearly two months ago. Immediately, I noticed Bryan was having regular bowel movements - at least once a day, which he has NEVER done previously. (Now once a day the majority of the time, at least every other day). Once he healed from what was going on at the time, Bryan has not had one bout with allergies, not even one runny nose. No pink eye. No ear infection. No cold, cough or bugs. And all of this while recovering from major surgery. This is the longest he has ever gone without some type of infection or complication.

While the probiotics have not changed Bryan's major issues, I believe they have enabled him to stay well throughout his recovery which has helped him become a little stronger every day. I'm sharing this because it seems lately I have heard so many LP parents out there discussing the latest bug their child has picked up - and if this has helped us I am hoping it will help you too.

If you are interested, please email me and I will give you more information on what we use - or just ask your pediatrician if it might be helpful to your child. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. There is LOTS of research on the internet as well. It has changed Bryan's life so much that I had to share our experience with everyone.

5 comments:

Caden and Mommy said...

Candi!
I will have to read up on probotics. I know nothing about them. But I do know Caden seems to be on antibiotics at least every other month for a sinus and or ear infection and I do know that Caden takes Miralax daily to help with his constipation. I would love to know more details.
Thanks! Trisha

Laura Wolf said...

I lately have been thinking about the probiotic route. I have started giving Nate yogurt which has been helpful but am thinking the next time he's on antibiotics that I will use a probiotic. I believe his prolonged use of antibiotics made him more susceptible to the flu virus (since I knew of no one around us that had it). I have heard of one kind called Florastor kids but I think it best to ask your pediatrician first.

Unknown said...

Probiotics are the best. I get them for myself and husband as well as the kids at Whole Foods. I subscribe to the magazine "Natural Health" where you can read more about it. It is recommended to take a probiotic that includes at least 3 strains..."lacto..", "bifido..." and acidophilus found in yogurts.

Chris and Emily said...

thanks for this. I've been thinking about trying probotics after doing lots of research for a while now for both of my boys ( one has dwarfism, on does not) both have or do struggle with reflux and both have constipation issues...

you might have brought me over - going to talk to my peds about it at our next appt. in a few weeks.

Kim said...

I have never heard of this but thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely keep this in mind next winter! I am so happy to hear Bryan is feeling better. I need to see new pics of his gorgeous face!